Students who have been away from the university who either did not submit a leave of absence form, or were ineligible for leave of absence, and who have been away for not more than two academic years must re-enroll in order to register for courses. This can be done by submitting an Undergraduate Application for Re-enrollment (available below under Resources) to the Registrar's Office after having the form signed by an advisor.

Important Considerations

  • Two-year timeframe: students who have been away from Mason five full semesters (excluding summer) no longer qualify for re-enrollment and must re-apply to the university. For example: if the last graded semester was Spring 2020, students must re-enroll by the beginning of the Fall 2022 semester. 
  • Cumulative GPA below 2.0: if a student has below a 2.00 cumulative GPA or was on academic suspension when he or she left, then the re-enrollment request must be reviewed by the Undergraduate Academic Affairs office after obtaining the advisor's signature.
    • Further, students who were on suspension when last at Mason must submit an Academic Advisor Approval Form along with the re-enrollment request.

Course selection for the requested semester of re-enrollment must also be submitted with the form.

Please note that any re-enrollment request received by the Undergraduate Academic Affairs less than two weeks before the first day of courses may be denied.

Major Catalog Year

Re-enrolling will update a student's degree requirements to the latest catalog term. If a student's advisor believes that this change will create an obstacle towards graduation, then the advisor can note the original catalog year at the top of the -re-enrollment form, indicating a change back to the original catalog term.