Non-Academic Complaints or Grievances

The complaint/grievance form is for use by students in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences for non-academic concerns. If you have an academic complaint, then please review the grade appeal page that is linked at the bottom of the page.

General complaints regarding the College of Humanities and Social Sciences may be made to the CHSS Academic Affairs Office, by completing a Complaint/Grievance Form (found at the bottom of this page) and submitting it electronically to

A grievance is a formal complaint that is raised by a student towards faculty or staff. The student should complete a Complaint/Grievance Form (found at the bottom of this page)and submit it electronically to the CHSS Academic Affairs Office at All grievances will be thoroughly investigated.


IMPORTANT: Some grievances are the purview of Mason’s Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) and are thus subject to the Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Grievance Procedure. If a member of the George Mason University community believes they are the victim of discrimination, or has information about discrimination in the university community, they may promptly submit the facts of the incident and the names of those involved to DEI. DEI ensures and monitors Mason’s compliance with Federal and Commonwealth of Virginia non-discrimination laws, and will review your complaint to determine the appropriate next steps. Please see the DEI grievance procedure:

A member of the George Mason University community may also submit a bias report. Please see the CCEE bias report procedure at:

Please additionally note: Discrimination includes sex- or gender-based discrimination or sexual misconduct under Title IX

You can contact the Title IX coordinator if you:

  • Wish to understand your options if you think you might have encountered gender discrimination or sexual misconduct (sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking and relationship violence)
  • Need help handling a situation in which you are indirectly affected
  • Learn of a situation that you feel may warrant a university investigation
  • Seek guidance on possible informal remedies or administrative measures to de-escalate or alleviate a difficult situation
  • Have questions about Mason's policies and procedures