Student Advising Meeting (SAM) Form

All CHSS undergraduate students with both a cumulative and previous semester GPA below 2.0, and an academic standing of warning or probation (not suspension), are required to complete the Student Advising Meeting (SAM) form with their major academic advisor. 

Students are notified of this requirement via their Mason email at the beginning of each semester (fall and spring), and will continue to receive frequent reminders from the CHSS Student Success team until it has been submitted.

What is the purpose of the SAM requirement?

Regular communication with your academic advisor is key to degree completion. Collaboration on the SAM form means that you have discussed the optimal schedule for your academic success, your current academic standing, grades needed to avoid suspension, and campus resources that may be helpful to you. 

Unsure how to locate your advisor? Advising contact information for all academic units in CHSS can be found here.

What is the deadline to submit the SAM form?

Students should meet with their academic advisor prior to the add and drop deadlines each fall and spring semester, and should submit the completed, signed form to the CHSS Student Success team within the Undergraduate Academic Affairs office. Registration holds are placed for SAM forms not received by the selective withdrawal deadline each semester.

Steps to complete the SAM requirement:

  1. Schedule an appointment with your major academic advisor.
  2. Download a copy of the SAM form from this page and use your unofficial transcript in Patriot Web to complete the student portions of the form prior to meeting with your advisor. 
  3. Complete the remaining portions of the form during your advising appointment. Be sure to discuss your current or planned course schedule, academic standing policies, and any relevant campus resources.
  4. Submit your completed, signed SAM form to the CHSS Student Success team in Undergraduate Academic Affairs, via email to, or Horizon Hall Suite 6300.

Important note:

Students returning from academic suspension, currently on a suspension override, or pursuing re-enrollment do not need to complete the SAM form. For information on documentation required for suspended or re-enrolling students, please visit the Policies and Procedures section of this website.